Tuesday, August 30, 2011

getting started

I've contemplated jumping on the blog-wagon for a while but have held off since I wasn't sure folks would have the time or interest in hearing me get on my sustainability soap box.  However, as my wife and I share a passion for living green at home, and it's what I focus on in my life as an architect, my passion has finally outweighed my humility.  So, for those of you who decide to read - thank you in advance. 

Since this is my first post, I'll start with a brief overview of myself for those who don't already know me.  I grew up loving the outdoors, and spent most of my tine either cycling, skiing, fishing or generally goofing around outside.  After graduating Architecture school in 1995, I began my professional career as an (intern) architect in Exton, Pa.  Shortly thereafter, I began to feel conflicted in what I was doing professionally, which often entailed destruction and replacement of natural settings with cheap, developer crap architecture.  (side note - my current firm is MUCH better!!!) In the late 90's I decided to return to school and get a Master of Architecture degree, with focus on design and energy efficiency.  This was right around the time I married my beautiful wife.  So - we packed up everything we owned and drove from Wilmington, DE to sunny Tucson, Arizona - bound for the University of Arizona! 

Fast forward a few years and a few children later, I completed my degree requirements and shortly thereafter became a LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) Accredited Professional.  For those not in the industry, this is an exam you take which focuses heavily on sustainable issues relative to design and construction - from site to energy, water and materials and so on.  This was also the time-frame I took the 9 required exams to become a registered architect.  

Fast forward a few more years to Spring 2008.  I was attending a green networking event in Bucks County, discussing how we can collectively reduce our environmental impacts.  I found it pretty ridiculous that I drove 2-1/2 hours round trip (but I did carpool!) to discuss how I could reduce my footprint.  So I contacted the Executive Directors of the two green building organizations surrounding me (DVGBC and GBACPA) to see how I could start a Chapter or Branch which would focus more locally.  This was the birth of the Berks Lancaster Green Building Association, which is now the Berks Lancaster Branch of the Central PA Chapter of the US Green Building Council.  I quickly found that many local industry folks shared my passion for sustainability and we soon had a brainstorming meeting with 20-25 energetic industry folks.  It was this collaborative spirit that got this off the ground!  We have had educational and networking events with 10-120 attendees since our inception, and we look forward to many more.  Since 2009 I've also been fortunate enough to hold a regional position with the US Green Building Council, as part of the North East Corridor Regional Council (now Committee), where we gather to work on initiatives in the best interest of our constituency. 

So...  that was the short (for me - my wife will warn you - get me on a green topic and I will go on and on...) introduction of where I am coming from and why I finally decided to take a stab at writing a blog.  My posts will focus on sustainability related issues, ranging from personal to professional.  Hopefully you will find them interesting and thought provoking.  We are currently putting an addition on our house and have taken some green approaches which I'll touch on in my next post.  Thanks again for reading... 




No comments:

Post a Comment